The Austin Intellectual Property Law Association is a non-profit, professional organization for individuals interested in intellectual property issues. Our members are attorneys who practice in intellectual property law, engineers and business people who are interested in both the legal and business aspects of intellectual property, and law students who are interested in a career in intellectual property law.
The association was formed to promote the understanding of intellectual property and related areas of law as well as to provide a local forum for the discussion of intellectual property issues and for the exchange of ideas on such issues. We typically have nine general meetings a year to discuss topics in intellectual property law. Most of these meetings have a guest speaker to provide us with information on recent developments in patent, trademark, or copyright laws, or on other related topics.
On the Docket
- AMENDED BYLAWS: The Board of Directors has approved proposed amendments to the organization bylaws. Please click to review clean or redlined versions of the proposed amended bylaws. Please submit any comments related to the proposed amendments to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email them to any board member.
- APRIL LUNCHEON: Our April member luncheon and CLE will be held on Wednesday, April27, 2016 at the Westwood Country Club. Benjamin Levi of McKool Smith, P.C. will present Section 337 Actions at the ITC: Past, Present, and Future Register here.
- COMING UP: 2016 meeting dates are as follows: Wednesday, April 27, May 25, June 22, August 24, September 28 & October 26.
- INVENTOR OF THE YEAR: INVENTOR OF THE YEAR: Please consider nominating an inventor as the 2016 Austin IPLA Inventor of the Year. Email email@example.com for more information.
- USPTO Roundtable
On Friday, March 13, 2015, the White House Business Council, jointly with the Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, the Austin Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, and the Austin Chamber of Commerce held an afternoon roundtable discussion with Deputy Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Deputy Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Michelle K. Lee. Deputy Director Lee shared her vision for the USPTO's Texas Regional Satellite Office, highlighted the role of intellectual property (IP) in driving innovation, and discussed several key USPTO initiatives, including the recently announced Patent Quality Initiative aimed at enhancing the quality of patents across the board. Pictured (left to right) are - Amber Hagy, Deputy Director Michelle K. Lee, Brian Nash & Roger Williams.
- World IP Day: On April 21, 2015, several Austin law firms and the American Intellectual Property Law Association hosted the first local celebration of World IP Day. The 2016 event will take place on April 28, 2016 at Westwood Country Club, with speakers from 3:00-4:30 and a reception from 4:30-6:00. The theme established by WIPO this year is Digital Creativity – Culture Reimagined. Stay tuned for more details, or email Alison Frey for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the 2015 free public event held at the LBJ Library, see the following two links: Austin: Born & Raised! World IP Day Celebration and Austin Law Firms Get Behind World IP Day with Austin Event.
- 2015 Judges’ Appreciation Dinner: On Tuesday, November 10, 2015, the Austin IPLA held its annual Judges’ appreciation dinner. This year’s speaker was the Honorable Kathleen O’Malley from the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Pictured (left to right) are - Judge O’Malley and J. Roger Williams, Jr.
2015 Inventor of the Year Joe Jones and Brian Prewitt
2015 Louis T. Pirkey Prize winner Jun Zheng and J. Roger Williams, Jr.
- AIPLA Dues: Online registration for our 2016 Membership year is now available at Eventbrite
- Moved?: Please update your membership information in Eventbrite.