The Austin Intellectual Property Law Association is a non-profit, professional organization for individuals interested in intellectual property issues. Our members are attorneys who practice in intellectual property law, engineers and business people who are interested in both the legal and business aspects of intellectual property, and law students who are interested in a career in intellectual property law.
The association was formed to promote the understanding of intellectual property and related areas of law as well as to provide a local forum for the discussion of intellectual property issues and for the exchange of ideas on such issues. We typically have five general meetings a year to discuss topics in intellectual property law. Most of these meetings have a guest speaker to provide us with information on recent developments in patent, trademark, or copyright laws, or on other related topics.
On the Docket
- OCTOBER MEETING & CLE LUNCHEON: The October meeting and CLE Luncheon will be held Tuesday, October 20. U.S. Attorney Mike Galdo will present on Custom, Export & Import Rules. Online registration is available here.
- COMING UP: 2015 meeting dates are as follows: Tuesday, September 22, & October 20.
- JUDGES APPRECIATION DINNER: Save the date for the Annual Judges Appreciation Dinner on November 10, 2015, with the Honorable Kathleen O’Malley confirmed as keynote speaker. Sponsorship opportunities available. Please contact a Board member to sponsor this event.
- INVENTOR OF THE YEAR: Please consider nominating an inventor as the 2015 Austin IPLA Inventor of the Year. Download a nomination form here.
- USPTO Roundtable
On Friday, March 13, 2015, the White House Business Council, jointly with the Austin Intellectual Property Law Association, the Austin Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, and the Austin Chamber of Commerce held an afternoon roundtable discussion with Deputy Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Deputy Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Michelle K. Lee. Deputy Director Lee shared her vision for the USPTO's Texas Regional Satellite Office, highlighted the role of intellectual property (IP) in driving innovation, and discussed several key USPTO initiatives, including the recently announced Patent Quality Initiative aimed at enhancing the quality of patents across the board. Pictured (left to right) are - Amber Hagy, Deputy Director Michelle K. Lee, Brian Nash & Roger Williams.
- World IP Day: On Tuesday, April 21, several Austin law firms and the American Intellectual Property Law Association will host the first local celebration of World IP Day with a free, public event at the LBJ Library in Austin, TX. The event kicks off at 3 p.m. More information is available in the following two links: Austin: Born & Raised! World IP Day Celebration and Austin Law Firms Get Behind World IP Day with Austin Event.
- Dallas USPTO Regional Director Job Opening: Below is the link for the job description for the Regional Director of the Dallas Patent & Trademark office. Ideally they are looking to find a candidate with significant management/leadership expertise, a lot of substantive IP experience, and outreach experience (and network) across the regions. Job Description.
- AIPLA Dues: Online registration for our 2015 Membership year is now available at Eventbrite
- Moved?: Please update your membership information in Eventbrite.